[sdiy] Getting Started with DIY Synths

Kylee Kennedy kmkennedy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 00:03:34 CET 2020

Building a flying fader control desk is completely different than Synth DIY.
Honestly you will not save any money and will lose a lot of time going that
direction. Those motorized faders are super expensive in small quantities.
You'll need to learn to interface them with an MCU...just not beginner
stuff.

I see tons of suggestions but what do you really need in your system? Have
you done any breadboarding?
Start with some full kits..hopefully with good descriptions of the design
AKA why they have opamps in one section and an OTA in another.
Make: Analog Synthesizers book and fellow list member Synth DIY guys
youtube is a perfect starting point.

Build an LFO, build a filter, build a few simple parts of a synth first.
Once you start grasping some of that you'll see ohh I need a (you fill in
the blank) next. Also this will not be a quick processes if you have lots
of free time you can learn CAD and design your own circuits but don't
expect that until your at least 1000 hrs into this hobby.

If you need a flying fader mixer for your DAW I can recommend an old Tascam
US2400 in Mackie HID mode off ebay or reverb or local craigslist. I bought
one for under $600 with rolling case. That copycat Bhringer company has an
affordable one also but I boycott them. More so since that terrible Kirn
diss video.

Cheers,
Kylee Kennedy