[sdiy] OBXa Memory problems

Michael E Caloroso mec.forumreader at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:23:00 CET 2020

CPUs can go bad even though the synth "works".  I had a bad Z80 in a
Memorymoog where autotune wouldn't work although everything else did.
That was an evil failure.

Are you SURE the address/data lines are TRULY working?  Unless you can
record the activity with a logic analyzer, a 'scope doesn't tell you
that much.  I'd check the buffers for the address/data lines.  Look at
the R/W and enable pins too.  Check that the IC generating the enable
line(s) is not simultaneously enabling another line, that will corrupt
data out of memory.  Check the rails at the ICs not just the power
buss.  ANYTHING that touches those ICs.

You might have write-only memory.  I had a bad RAM IC on an OBSX.

Diagnosing corrupt data lines is what separates the men from the boys.
Not easy.

MC