[sdiy] OT: uC Development Environments

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 5 23:06:51 CET 2020

Gordon,

Setup generator. A number of the Eclipse based environments have windows
that show the processor or board that you've selected. You can then
select a multi-use pin and say it's a serial or SPI or ... interface. It
will then generate setup code and load a driver for that pin/peripheral.
I usually go through the drivers and sometime the setup code after it's
generated to clean up, optimize and fix.

Other than doing  Arduino boards directly the Arduino IDE isn't
something I would use. For me it's pretty much way at the bottom of the
list because as you said it limits what you can do easily and it's not
really C.

Interrupts can be tricky but a lot depends on what your doing, the
resources available and the timing requirements. Some times you can do
every thing in the ISR, sometimes a DPC (Deferred Procedure Call, even
though this is a Windows thing you do it else where too), sometimes
semaphores/mutexes are needed, sometimes queues are needed and on and on.

Happy coding.
Jay S.