[sdiy] OT: uC Development Environments

Mikko Helin maohelin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:16:24 CET 2020

In tend to use VSCode (Visual Studio Code) as an IDE and set up it's
environment for various targets if possible, or use some special tools (but
not too many) if it's not possible. For Teensy for an example (with VSCode)
you can use the Makefile or PlatformIO integration, because Teensys don't
have hardware debugger ports enabled (pins are not accessible) you can not
benefit from any debuggers but have to use another kind of debugging
strategies.

For STM32 there are some guides available how to setup the VSCode projects
using STM32CubeMX:
https://hbfsrobotics.com/blog/configuring-vs-code-arm-development-stm32cubemx

Last time I used the Eclipse based IDE though.

For other MCU's like NXP there is also way to use VSCode:
https://nxp.gitbook.io/hovergames/developerguide/tools/visual-studio-code
Also PlatformIO supports mbed for LPC micros:
https://github.com/platformio/platform-nxplpc

On Windows the Visual Studio and VisualGDB looks nice though:
https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/nxp_lpc/
On Linux I guess it's not available.

It would be easier if you used just one brand of
micro-processors/controllers :) Also some kind of Arduino environment is
available for almost all most common devices, but then you cannot maybe
have all functionality available. After you have written Arduino driver for
some device (as kind of C++ class) it's easy to use though, I like Teensy
libraries for an example because of that (too bad there aren't many Teensy
system developers in addition to Paul himself).

Mikko