[sdiy] OT: uC Development Environments

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Mar 5 08:34:27 CET 2020

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 03:08:52PM -0800, Jay Schwichtenberg wrote:
> Gordon,
>
> That works. But I would prefer an environment that has some sort of setup
> generator.

Not sure what you mean by "setup generator"?

> I've found that typically if you have to write setup code and drivers for
> the peripherals you use that can take significantly more time then writing
> the application. That being said I usually leave the setup code alone and

If you're using the Arduino libraries you'll very soon run up against limitations that stem from making it "easy to use" and "works on everything" that get in the way of "doesn't do weird shit".

For ARM you really need to look at libopencm3, but I'm not sure if anything similar exists for AVR8.

On AVR8 I tend to end up writing everything on bare metal eventually without using anything more than stdlib functions, particularly for things like interrupt handlers where I've generally got a very very specific thing I want it to do - like, for serial interrupts, if it's handling MIDI it has to do the MIDI clock task *right now* right there in the handler, and not queue that byte.

Trying to do DSP on an 8-bit 16MHz chip that has only add, subtract and 8x8 unsigned multiply is quite a challenge, and the only reason I bother writing synth code for AVR8 is probably the same reason I like Rubik cubes.

--
Gordonjcp