[sdiy] OT: uC Development Environments

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Thu Mar 5 00:03:37 CET 2020

Hi Jay,

I have been using Rowley CrossWorks for many years in quite a few commercial projects. Both their ARM and the AVR compiler, although the latter is not really supported anymore. They have a free trial and a reasonable license for personal use ($150).  See https://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm <https://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm>. It has both the gcc and clang compilers underneath, and it is easy to switch. I mostly use clang now. They have lots of cpu and board support packages, see https://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/index.htm?https://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/BSPs.htm <https://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/index.htm?https://www.rowleydownload.co.uk/arm/packages/BSPs.htm>. The build configuration setup is easier than VisualStudio’s, but that is probably a matter of personal taste. Their support is excellent too. It is also cross-platform and I use it on Mac OS X and Windows. Linux available too.

I would stay away from vendor supplied IDE’s and libraries. The libraries usually have lots of hidden bugs or limitations. Also vendor lock-in. Better to get to know the stuff you’re using by rolling or adapting your own. I’ve switched from NXP to ST for example, and that would be more difficult when you were bound to the vendor’s tools.

Minor disclaimer: I believe I was Rowley’s first customer in 1988. :-) Modula-2 compiler on a Sun 3/80 for the 68070 and the 68332. I still use it to support some old projects.

Ben