[sdiy] minimoog keyboard question

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Sat Jun 20 00:37:04 CEST 2020

> On 19 Jun 2020, at 23:47, Neil Harper <metadata at gmx.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/19/20 3:49 AM, Ben Stuyts wrote:
>> I have this keyboard->CV pcb lying around somewhere from the late great
>> Ray Wilson:
>>
>> http://musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&PROJARG=SINGLEBUSSKEYBOARD2007/SINGLEBUSSKEYBOARD2007.php&VPW=1325&VPH=1199
>>
>> The article explains it pretty good.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> thanks ben, that did explain it very good! so that circuit is looking at
> about 1/4 cent per second droop.

Glad I could help!

> seems like one of those things that might be best done digitally, i
> can't see any inherent "magic" coming from these circuits or times when
> a droop would be musically desirable. I'm guessing the minimoog reissue
> did it digitally?

Probably everybody does it digitally nowadays. Makes MIDI much easier too. But what is best? Perhaps the little bit of droop adds a bit of character to the old analog synths. You’d probably need at least a 16-bit CV DAC to emulate it in software!

I thought the charm of Ray’s circuits was that he always found analog ways of doing it. The S/H in this circuit is very straightforward. The more interesting part is the gate/trigger I think.

Ben