[sdiy] 1970's organ repair and multi-capacitor PS caps

John Speth johnspeth at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 17:38:02 CEST 2020

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I ordered single 50V caps to
replace the old 25V multi-section caps. I measured 4V of AC on the +22V
rail and 1V of AC on the -22V rail, both measured on the bridge
rectifier outputs.  Measured ripple is clearly bad so I'm surprised the
organ isn't noisier than it is. There's plenty of room to mount them
somewhere so I won't be stuffing the old cans and they'll be hidden
anyway. Hot glue and ty-wraps will win the day. The biggest risk is
breaking something that doesn't need fixing.

This organ has the "Orbit II" synthesizer which I've heard is a Bob Moog
design. It's a cheesy organesque toy (IMO) that has a few pluck-like
patches (like banjo) and many non-pluck patches (like string) using a
half sized 2 octave keyboard. The Orbit synth takes up about half of the
space inside which is a lot for such a barely useful feature. I guess
it's all about being first to market in 1972. Separately, it has it's
own power amp, power supply, and speaker. It only shares the vibrato
circuit with the main organ. It has it's own aging problems but none
that are really bad.

JJS