[sdiy] reverb in csound

mark verbos markverbos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:23:49 CEST 2020

TR,

I have never used CSound, but I am deeply obsessed with hardware reverbs. Wellcome to the deepest of rabbit holes.
You may want to check out the Ursa Major Space Station. The designer, Chris Moore, has described it as a “Reverb Effect”, so it could be just what you are looking for.
It is based on a bank of 24 delays. 8 of them are fixed by the program as “audition taps” or essentially early reflections. 15 taps are modulated and only available in the feedback loop (the “reverb” control brings the mix of them up in the input mixer. Finally, one tap is a variable delay that is acting as an echo, with feedback. When programs are selected, the 8 audition taps are set to their fixed delay times and positioned as 4 stereo pairs. Some very cool effects are possible, but Bricasti or high end Lexicon quality reverb is not one of them. I got several ideas for my own Multi-Delay from the Space Station and Tom Erbe sights it as a reference for the Erbe-Verb, too. Ursa Major went on to make several more products that reworked and refined the same idea and ultimately the designer did products for AKG and Kurzweil.

In the classic reverb collection, the ones that are the most synth or "reverb effect” style are the ones that have serious modulation. The EMTs, early Lexicons, even a few from Alesis are the standouts. Sadly, reverb algorithms are like chili recipes, everyone has their own and won’t share it with anyone.

Mark