[sdiy] where to get 3M Scotchflex sockets and strips?

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 28 23:03:42 CEST 2020

It's a PCB with holes on a 0.1" grid and copper strips on the bottom. 
You do a layout sort of like a PCB cutting the strips where it is 
needed. There are a number of ways to cut the strips. There is a tool 
made for it, I use a 3/32" drill bit in a pin vise or X-acto knife.

You can do a search online for it. I use this software for layout, it's 
pretty basic but it works.


I would recommend buying good FR4 boards. There are a lot of cheap ones 
out there made with phenolic or what they call bakelite with poor drill 
registration. I buy BusBoard ST2 and ST3.

Jay S.

On 7/28/2020 10:50 AM, Kenny Balys wrote:
> What is strip board? That does sound like something I would like.
> The 3M scotchflex socket system was eye wateringly expensive.
> It made a lot of sense when prototyping digital bus based systems.
> I made a lot of Eurorack size cards for GESBUS/Half VME, etc. that
> would be alpha trialed before an actual PCB was made.
> The comments here so far show that most of the reasons for its existence
> are now gone.
> Now, about this strip board, is that a wire wrap thing? Or is it "push to
> clip & contact" like the 3M stuff?

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list