[sdiy] really inaccurate zeners

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 1 03:30:53 CEST 2020

Sorry, I mistyped.  I meant 1N4732 (4.7V), not 1N4372 (which is a 3.0V
zeners -- what genius picked those numbers, anyway?  It's as if people
intentionally do things with electronic parts to increase confusion, like
putting the power pins on the wrong sides of quad opamps so they need to be
oriented backwards relative to every other IC).  The zeners I measured today
are 1N4730A (3.9V), 1N4731A (4.3V), and 1N4732A (4.7V).

So, who ever runs a zener diode with 20mA of current?  You could heat your
home by using your synth as a fireplace.

Also, there was a 0.5V difference between zeners from the same denomination.
The datasheet suggests +/-5% tolerance for the A denominations, and I'm
seeing much looser tolerances than that.

I'm going to go out and measure the voltages vs current by using a bunch of
different resistors, draw a curve, and report back with my findings.  (I'm
predicting that the voltage won't change that much as long as the current is
higher than about 1 mA.)

Cheers,
Dave