[sdiy] eurorack power cables

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Feb 22 04:53:29 CET 2020

Ha!

I guess I haven’t had enough time to get tired of it yet.

I did notice right away (upon entering the modular world) that buying ribbon cables from Mouser is really expensive. We have a local surplus shop that lets you cut your own ribbon and buy the connectors piecemeal. It’s still a pain if you don’t have proper crimping tools - I managed to flatten the displacement blades on one and didn’t notice until that module got no power.

I understand why you don’t want to make them by hand, but I’m still addicted to the option of making cables that are exactly the right length and even have multiple connectors. In particular, I have several pairs of 2hp modules that are fed by a custom ribbon - I simply added a second 10-pin socket the right distance from the other, and it’s so much neater than separate cables. Since the 2hp modules come with power cables, I now have a lot of spares after doubling up like that.

Brian

p.s. I can’t find my notes, but there is black ribbon cable available as well as the standard gray. I’m really tempted to buy a spool of black ribbon cable for making my own custom power cables, but it’s literally twice as expensive as the gray ribbon.