[sdiy] LFSR using lookup tables

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Feb 19 23:58:38 CET 2020

Hi,

This is a misconception. The LFSR can be modified to move the state
forward not one step, but any suitable number of steps, and it will only
be another LFSR polynomial. So, for instance, you can step this forward
16 steps in one update. Then, you use another set of XOR gates to
combine the state to produce 16 bits output, so now you have 16 bit
generated in the same clock cycle. This is all traditional, but maybe
less known. You thus get 16 times output in this case, but you can do it
by any suitable number. This is what we do in multi-gigabit rate for
transmission. Regardless of how many bits you do, the state-memory has
the same amount of flip-flops. The only reason to add more flip-flops is
because you want to pipe-line processing to keep the rate up.

So, I do not see the reason for lookup tables. Just use the methods
available properly.

Cheers,
Magnus