[sdiy] Mellotron teardown

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Tue Feb 18 05:56:35 CET 2020

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 8:14 PM, John Speth via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:
>
> Checkout this Mellotron teardown by a competent tech:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByD8gH7kYxs
>
> It's such a crude and simple instrument. I'm surprised how the tapes are designed in. No quick change there!

(Certainly more advanced that a tripod, eh?)

As teardown videos go, it's pretty good, but she neglected to describe the "tape frame".  The 35 tapes and pulleys and springs are on a rack unit that is held in place with 4 thumb-bolts.  You can unscrew them, and the assembly lifts right out.  And there's a case for it.

So you can bring a spare tape frame to a gig, and swap out the sounds during a break.  (Or as part of the act!)

  -- Don
--
Donald Tillman, Palo Alto, California
http://www.till.com