[sdiy] 45 vs. 90 degree pcb traces

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Feb 15 00:14:25 CET 2020

Is there any documentation of the black versus red/blue Mylar tape process?

I’ve long assumed that the curved traces were hand-drawn with solder resist pens, or some other, similar process that was mostly manual. I also assumed that Mylar was cut with X-Acto blades. How would the black “crepe” tape be cut? … and how is the width controlled?

Despite the obvious pedantic tendencies, I actually believe it would be historically important to document these old processes. It seems that a number of computer history museums are gathering documentation of these early events, and I’d like to see PCB design as a part of that effort.

Brian