[sdiy] 45 vs. 90 degree pcb traces

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Fri Feb 14 20:03:45 CET 2020

Smooth angles are good for leaving your fast transients intact. Fat traces give phat sounds. :)

But seriously, that has indeed been debunked long time ago. As the Altium article correctly states there is a point for manufacturability of sharp corners, and their tendency to cause acid traps during etching. I haven’t seen any problems with that in the last decade with 6/6 mil spacing boards though. I guess it might still be a problem if you’re designing/manufacturing iPhone pcb’s.

Also, 45 degree corner is a misnomer in this context but everybody seems to call it that way historically. It should be called a 135 degree corner.

Ben