[sdiy] Selecting a rotary encoder, transistions per detent?

Jay Schwichtenberg jschwich53 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 10 00:30:12 CET 2020

For a single encoder I would setup the MCU to interrupt on a low to high
transition on both the A and B pins. If you get an interrupt on the A
pin first you are going clockwise, on the B pin you are going counter
clockwise. I do typically debounce the switch transitions in software
too. Basically after the interrupt (a few milliseconds) I check to see
if the state is correct before I say the switch has changed state. If
you don't you can get multiple interrupts from a 'noisy/bouncy' switch.

Since this is an edge transition and not polling a steady state I think
it should work for both (don't know which Bourns encoder you're using,
so I'm assuming they it will work since most work the same way).

If I use more than 2 encoders I'll usually multipex them to save pins.
To do that you have to ground pin C of the active encoder and use diodes
between the A and B pins and the pull up resistors. Cathode of the
diodes goes to the A and B pins, anode to the pull ups.

Jay S.