[sdiy] PCB / Panel Manufacture

Shawn Rakestraw shawn at epicpoolsga.com
Sat Feb 8 19:52:34 CET 2020

Thanks for pointing out the small via and acid trap, Vesa. I do not
understand your comment about no thermals on the pads. Can you or someone
else briefly describe what that means?

Ingo, I thought that I need all of my grounds connected to the center tap.
If I separate them, the capacitors will form a "new" virtual ground for the
DC output side? Correct? Makes sense to me, I think. Sorry, I have been
studying electronics for a few years now and I still have much to learn.
(I'm doing pretty good though I think.) Thanks for pointing out about the
input power going to cap and then rectifier also. I had not considered that
the order would make any difference, but again, that makes sense to me when
you mention it.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Ingo Debus <igg.debus at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Am 08.02.2020 um 16:29 schrieb Vesa Lahteenmaki <vjhl2000 at hotmail.com>:
> >
> > No thermals on any pads connecting to the ground plane ?  Soldering
> nightmare.
> >

> It's hard to tell, but as far as I can see there are thermals.
>
> I’d keep the ground traces from the center tap of the transformer to the
> electrolytics C1 and C2 separate from the ground plane. These traces carry
> all the ripple current. You don’t want that current in a trace that is used
> for anything else. Also, for the negative supply, the trace goes from the
> rectifier directly to the regulator and from there to C2. I think it’s
> better the other way around: go from the rectifier to the cap and from
> there to the regulator. This way the regulator get a nice clean supply.
>
> Ingo

[image: Our Website] <http://epicpoolsga.com/>
Shawn Rakestraw
678-232-7192