[sdiy] PCB / Panel Manufacture

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Fri Feb 7 18:28:51 CET 2020

Hi Shawn,

About Front Panel manufacturing,

So far I built around 50 modules with DOTCOM specifications.

Here is an old picture of the beginning of my modular project with the very first modules installed:

http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/M300_Synth_Cabinet/Cabinet_pictures/Cabinets_with_first_modules.JPG

Here are some front pictures of my modules:

http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/M105_VCA/Module_pictures/M105_VCA_front.jpg

 <http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/M103B_UltraVCO/Module_pictures/M103B_MOTM300_UltraVCO_front.jpg> http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/M103B_UltraVCO/Module_pictures/M103B_MOTM300_UltraVCO_front.jpg

http://www.arcenson.com/projects/Modular/M108_Audio_Mixer/Module_pictures/M108_Audio_Mixer_front.jpg

The first front panels were made from printed self-adhesive vinyls with clear thin mat laminate on top

to protect from any scratches..
These are glued on 1/16” thick DOTCOM specs folded aluminum panels.

Now, my newest front panels are and will be made from a 8mils thick pcb fiberglass
with black mat mask and white layout silkscreened on it.
The new fiberglass mat black mask is blacker than the first final vinyls look.
I glue them using 3M Super 77 spray glue.

This is my PCB manufacturer that do all I need now. (electronics PCB’s & front plain PCB’s).

I draw the front panel layout using a small program called FrontDesigner 3.0 <https://www.electronic-software-shop.com/lng/en/electronic-software/frontdesigner-30.html>

This program creates HPGL vector files for the PCB manufacturer.

The electronics PCB files are GERBER files generated with OrCAD ver 10.5

The bonus is that since the front panel files are vector files now

that manufacturer can also drill all the holes in the layout (jack, switch holes, etc..)

Good luck !

JP