[sdiy] Reasonable cap replacement policy

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 14:18:18 CET 2020

Gordon, you say this every time I see you commenting on this topic even
though several of us have pointed out that we *have* seen failed electros
in synths and other gear--and not just in psus.

Do you really think your individual experience is that much more typical
than the rest of us?

I agree with the idea that blind "re capping" is a foolish shotgun
approach, and you're right that it often goes hand in hand with
inexperience and bad work, but that doesn't mean electros don't fail or
that they shouldn't be checked out.  Bulges and leakage do happen and do
indicate that the caps showing such signs need to be replaced.

Pete