[sdiy] Reasonable cap replacement policy

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Feb 7 11:46:26 CET 2020

On Thu, Feb 06, 2020 at 10:14:12AM -0800, John Speth via Synth-diy wrote:
> Hi folks-
>
> Today I called a shop about replacing the belts on my 30 year old
> cassette tape deck (Fostex X-26). The guy quickly recommended also
> replacing the caps (I assume just the electrolytics). I'm guarded
> against folks who do repairs on stuff that don't show signs of need,
> which my tape deck doesn't.
>
> What are the prevailing opinions on replacing old electrolytics in
> equipment from the 1980's?

I have pretty much never seen a failed electrolytic in audio equipment,
leaving aside cheap shitty switched-mode power supplies.  I've seen a
lot of leaky disc ceramics, but weirly mostly in radio gear.

If someone brings me a bit of kit that's been "re-capped" to repair -
because it's never "bad caps" - it's 300 quid for me to even take the
screws out because I know it'll be a total shitemare from start to
finish.

--
Gordonjcp