[sdiy] MIDI and ESD protection

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Thu Feb 6 05:55:02 CET 2020

Hi Julian,

When I first skimmed your message, I wondered why you were asking. My reasoning was that the optoisolator chips used for MIDI are often used for protection against much higher voltages.

Then I realized that you specified the MIDI out! That’s clearly a different circuit without an optoisolator.

I assume that standard ESD protection for any exposed 3.3 V digital signal would be appropriate. Since this is a current loop and not really a voltage signal, you’ll need to take extra care that the ESD protection does not induce current to flow when it shouldn't.

Brian