[sdiy] Resistor Networks....

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 05:32:21 CEST 2020

I'm working on laying out a classic through hole module design with SMD
parts.  The original uses a fair number of resistor networks, most of them
just parallel resistors, not common bus versions.  The resistor networks
are, well... huge by comparison.

Unfortunately the original designer isn't around for me to ask for input.

My *impression* based on how the networks are being used (often times for
things like input resistors and a feedback resistor in a summing op amp
config, just as one example) is that part of their purpose was to get parts
that were well matched.  But that's not anything but a gut feeling.

So I'm looking for seasoned opinions about whether there is any important
reason to keep resistor networks, when I can sub in 1% SMD parts that will
take up less space and be more flexible for placement.  Are the networks
either 1) better matched even than 1% parts, or 2) have some other
characteristic which I'm not thinking of that might be important?

Thanks

Pete