[sdiy] Envelope attack smoothing for drum question

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Fri Aug 21 23:21:16 CEST 2020

Hi Florian,

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 at 17:50, Florian Anwander <fanwander at mnet-online.de>
wrote:

> Hi Mattias, Didier
>
> To be honest: one of the interesting parts of the 808 *is*, that there
> is no oscillator to sync, but that the trigger initializes the resonance
> of a T-filter. This means also: if the circuit is still resonating when
> a trigger comes in it depends heavily on in which "direction" the
> T-filter is swinging at that moment. That is how a real drum head is
> behaving: if the stick hits the drumhead, while it is moving up, then
> the resulting sound will be different from the sound of a drumhead
> moving down, while hit by the drumstick.
>
> If you do the drum synthesis with an oscillator+VCA concept then you
> should think about provide a choice whether to sync the oscillator or not.

True, it's a valid point in a way. But it's not like using an unsynced
oscillator, since the new trig pulse in the 808 BD always comes in the same
direction and in the same amount. Also it's normally much stronger than the
residual oscillation from the previous trig.
The click is always strong, but the boomy tail has an amplitude that
depends on the mix with the residual.
Making a sharp drum sound from an unsynced oscillator, on the other hand,
gives different click strengths at different oscillator phases.

And another note about syncing. I remember a drumsynth (don't know which
> one - was it the 909?), which did not reset the oscillator by the
> trigger, but the trigger switched the frequency of the oscillator or
> T-filter to a higher frequency for a very short moment. This has the
> same effect as a sync, but sounds more "natural".

Sounds 808-ish, but perhaps something else? Please tell us if you wake up
realizing which machine it was. :-)

/mr