[sdiy] Envelope attack smoothing for drum question

Florian Anwander fanwander at mnet-online.de
Fri Aug 21 17:49:42 CEST 2020

Hi Mattias, Didier

To be honest: one of the interesting parts of the 808 *is*, that there
is no oscillator to sync, but that the trigger initializes the resonance
of a T-filter. This means also: if the circuit is still resonating when
a trigger comes in it depends heavily on in which "direction" the
T-filter is swinging at that moment. That is how a real drum head is
behaving: if the stick hits the drumhead, while it is moving up, then
the resulting sound will be different from the sound of a drumhead
moving down, while hit by the drumstick.

If you do the drum synthesis with an oscillator+VCA concept then you
should think about provide a choice whether to sync the oscillator or not.

And another note about syncing. I remember a drumsynth (don't know which
one - was it the 909?), which did not reset the oscillator by the
trigger, but the trigger switched the frequency of the oscillator or
T-filter to a higher frequency for a very short moment. This has the
same effect as a sync, but sounds more "natural".

Florian