[sdiy] Envelope attack smoothing for drum question

Didier Leplae didierleplae at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 23:40:34 CEST 2020

We are working on an analog drum module that uses a simple envelope created from a trigger to control the amplitude of a triangle oscillator with a basic OTA based VCA. We are having a problem with a slight clicking sound at the beginning of many of the drum hits. We think this is because the attack of our envelope is so sharp that the beginning of our drum hit looks like a straight jump from 0V to wherever the triangle wave happens to fall. Therefore the click is somewhat random in that it doesn't occur when the triangle happens to be low at the time of attack.
Can anyone suggest a simple way to deal with this, like adding a slight bit of attack time to the envelope? How could this be done without adding too many parts?
Thanks,
Didier