[sdiy] IC Temperature

René Schmitz synth at schmitzbits.de
Fri Aug 7 10:56:40 CEST 2020

On 06.08.2020 23:41, Mattias Rickardsson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 at 22:52, René Schmitz <synth at schmitzbits.de
> <mailto:synth at schmitzbits.de>> wrote:
>

>     And a reason to avoid letting four opamps sizzle hot in a SO16
>     quad package.
>

> Or SO14. ;-)

I should have better written smd package.

You have two times the dissipation in a 074 vs a 072. (Assuming equal
dissipation per amp.)

But the thermal resistance isn't halved. So I would expect the amp to be
hotter in a 074 than in a 072,

with the consequential higher leakage and other effects.

> From the TL07x datasheet, section 6.7 Thermal Information for TL074 in
> 14-pin packages,
>
> Junction-to-ambient thermal resistance
> SOIC: 86 degrees/watt
> PDIP: 80 degrees/watt
> SO: 76 degrees/watt
>
> So, SO is the coolest package, no?

Looks like it. Most common seems to be the SOIC and PDIP though.

Best,

  René

synth at schmitzbits.de
http://schmitzbits.de