[sdiy] IC Temperature

Mike Beauchamp list at mikebeauchamp.com
Sun Aug 2 19:53:17 CEST 2020

On 8/2/20 5:26 AM, Mattias Rickardsson wrote:
> A heat camera can prove useful for design as well.

Hi Mattais, I borrowed the FLIR for this exact reason - to check a
prototype PCB design.

The first thing I noticed was that all of my IC's get very hot. TL074's
are all going up to around 50C in 20 minutes, NE5532 a bit hotter and
the LM13700's stay pretty chilly. After running the board for about 20
minutes, the whole thing is warm to the touch - something I'm not really
used to in previous designs. But this is my first surface-mount design
and it is probably twice as dense as previous stuff. I'm using a +/-15V
power supply.

I checked the datasheet for the TL074 I'm using and it's "Operating
Temperature" is 70C Maximum. I can't help being worried that my measured
50C is pretty close to this, although I'm 95% certain I'm not doing
anything electronically "wrong" with all of these chips to put them in
danger.

Maybe "Operating Temperature" refers to the ambient temperature that the
chips can operate in, not the temperature they reach?

Mike