[sdiy] Resources on embedded programming good practices?

John Ames commodorejohn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:55:04 CEST 2020

On 4/21/20, music.maker at gte.net <music.maker at gte.net> wrote:
> "Best practices".  For whom?  For what?  Why?  I've seen many suggestions
> for such expressions and while it sounds academic and proper, reality
> eventually comes knocking at the door.

^^^ THIS. There's "good practice" and then there's Best Practices. The
one is a meaningful understanding and awareness of common pitfalls and
good design principles; the other is a cult/high-church mentality that
treats programming as a Sacred Mystery and preaches the gospel of rote
memorization and blind fealty to the Proper Rites.

Ultimately, good programming comes down less to ingesting any one
collection of received wisdom than it does to building good mental
habits, really *understanding* the problem and developing a clear
mental model, carefully considering multiple angles when developing a
solution, and being clear and concise in translating that solution to
a representation in native-language operations. Everything else is
bookkeeping.