[sdiy] SH-3a VCO - how does it work

Adam Inglis (sdiy) synthdiy at adambaby.com
Mon Apr 20 12:07:03 CEST 2020

I had this question a year ago or so, when I was looking at external control for my SH-2000. Not exactly the same, but again, based around a UJT.

Then I discovered people have been asking this question on this list for a very long time!
Below is a comment by Juergen Haible from 1997. (and I think Rene contributed to that discussion as well!)

Haible Juergen
Mon Aug 11 14:02:24 CEST 1997

Most Korg VCOs actually use SCR circuits !

(MS-20, Polysix, Trident, to name just a few.)

Only that they don't use an SCR *component* - they
build their own SCR circuit from two bipolar transistors.
But it works exactly the same way: It starts to conduct
when a certain gk voltage is reached, and it stops when
the current thru the device reaches zero (i.e. when the
capacitor is discharged).
The first Moog VCOs used unijunction transistors - not
the same, but similar in operation.
An actual SCR component I have only seen in Roland
System 700 docs. Not in the VCO's, but in the envelopes,
if memory serves.

JH.

PS: The Korg circuit looks very elegant, as you don't need
any voltage comparator (it's buit in), nor hysterestic switch
or monoflop (the end condition is "current == 0").
Does this circuit also have some drawbacks ?
Tolerances of trigger voltage ?
Temperature dependance ?
Any idea why it wasn't used by everybody?

The answer to his last question that many people will give you is - they are no good over a large number of octaves, hence the divide down switching.
Personally, I don’t rate that quality very highly, especially given that many orchestral instruments are only used (in any one piece of music) over a fairly restricted octave range.
The issue of temperature stability is also raised - which doesn’t explain why my Korg 700 and Roland SH-2000 never need tuning!