[sdiy] An Improved Sine Shaper Circuit

René Schmitz synth at schmitzbits.de
Sat Apr 18 00:28:04 CEST 2020

On 17.04.2020 23:15, Donald Tillman wrote:
> I did find that if you don't get close to the 0.710 optimum beta value,
> then there's little improvement over the standard long tail pair.  With
> beta value of 0.710 the harmonics are down 76dB.  With a beta of 0.600,
> the harmonics are only down 44dB.

Keeping this stable could be interesting. There are kT/q terms all over
the place. (one place...) In the first order you could scale the Vbe in
a very familiar way.

> So the order of magnitude improvement happens at a golden point.

Intuitively, for each amount of drive you give to the tanh function
(i.e. the interval of the tanh that actually is used), there is a
corresponding beta for the linear term, such that at the ends (+-pi/2)
the curve is horizontal (d/dt=0). And we have a fixed point at f(0) = 0.
But there is only one such combination (drive, beta), where the
pointwise difference to an ideal sine is minimal over the entire interval.

Best,
  René

synth at schmitzbits.de
http://schmitzbits.de