[sdiy] matching Vactrols

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:42:38 CEST 2020

How much testing and selection you need to do definitely depends on
your application. Regardless, it seems to me you would want to measure
current into the LED rather than voltage across it, for several
reasons. An online datasheet says the maximum LED current is 40mA, and
I'd want to be measuring that if for no other reason than to make sure
I don't go over it. Also the LED current is much closer to a linear
relationship with the light output than the voltage, which is
basically an exponential curve, where most of the change is in a small
voltage range near the max voltage that gives 40mA. I'd use a resistor
in series with the LED so that the LED current would be limited to
40mA at the full output voltage of the circuit driving it.

The next question might be what is the output resistance at various
LED currents, say 0mA, 1mA and 10mA. Then there's the speed of change
between these currents. The response is much faster to an increasing
amount of light (LED current) than to a decreasing amount. Notice that
the "off" resistance is after 10 seconds with zero LED current. The
time response is taken advantage of in audio compressors, but of
course for stereo all parameters of two units must be closely matched
to keep a consistent stereo image.

A bit of Googling brings up much useful info. Here's a couple of
datasheets for several parts of the original Vactrol brand:
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenblaetter/silicon/datasheet-vtl-opto.pdf
https://datasheet.octopart.com/VTL5C4-Excelitas-Technology-datasheet-21629238.pdf

There's also these from the original manufacturer, a lot of info,
probably more than what most people need:
http://denethor.wlu.ca/pc300/optoisolators/analogoptoisolatorintroduction.pdf
https://home.roboticlab.eu/_media/kit/datasheets/ldr.pdf