[sdiy] Opionions on Switchmode PSUs for analog synths?

paula at synth.net paula at synth.net
Thu Oct 31 09:08:39 CET 2019

Big can of worms.

IMHO and experience, modern switch mode PSUs are fine.
We used a switch mode in 001, 002 and 008 (meanwell units) and I use
them in my modular (most euro rack supplies with external wall warts use
them also).

There will be a lot of people who say "switch modes are noisy", well, in
the 80s, yes they were... these days they're super clean with very high
switch frequencies and are MORE efficient that linear PSUs.

Just my tuppence, and I won't get into a flame war over this, I'm just
speaking from experience.

Paula