[sdiy] Opionions on Switchmode PSUs for analog synths?

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Thu Oct 31 00:33:24 CET 2019

> On 30 Oct 2019, at 23:57, Mattias Rickardsson <mr at analogue.org> wrote:
>
> Den ons 30 okt. 2019 22:49Ben Stuyts <ben at stuyts.nl <mailto:ben at stuyts.nl>> skrev:
> ... So if you have the budget, go for some SMPS to generate pos and neg and followed with some analog regulators.
>
> How likely is a linear regulator to properly suppress the high-frequency noise from SMPS?

It needs to be addressed carefully indeed. Put an LC filter on the input, for starters. Ripple rejection of the LT3088 I mentioned is between 35 - 85 dB depending on load, frequency, etc. Maybe there are better ones. The DC/DC converter that Neil mentioned switches at ca. 250 kHz, where rejection is at the low end (35 dB or so).

Ben