[sdiy] Opionions on Switchmode PSUs for analog synths?

klangbau sauterw at web.de
Wed Oct 30 23:02:36 CET 2019

Hi Niel,

I'm testing several DC/DC or similar switching converters and in summary
all produce ripples in a different ways, also depending on switching
frequency of power switcher or wall wart. We build a +-12V power supply
for use with  19V laptop power supply.  It is working but with more or
less ripples, you can hear sometimes. I identify ripples by ear in our
VCO complete decoupled with +-5V/Tl431 with a 30W DC/DC converter.

Look at Dieter Doepfer's  power supply to learn how to avoid it: Use
+-15V switcher and +-12V linear converter.

It took a few years and a testing to understand Doepfer's solution. Rob
Hordijk did it in a simalar way.

willi sauter
KlangbauKoeln