[sdiy] Analogue hardware simulations in LTspice

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Oct 12 23:39:12 CEST 2019

On a related note, I’ve use IR math to measure the frequency response of AudioUnit plugins. All it takes is a rather tiny input buffer with a pulse the width of one sample, and an amplitude of 1.0 to get a perfect frequency response. Of course, as soon as this technique is used on a plugin with distortion or time-varying gain (like a compressor), the technique fails completely.

Basically, it makes sense to me that you can get an IR of a SPICE circuit without having the actual circuit. The resulting IR will be as accurate as the model. In fact, you could probably compare it to the impulse response of the actual hardware to test how close your SPICE model is to the real circuits (and then maybe tweak the parameters to improve things - that might benefit from some ML techniques).

Brian