[sdiy] Analogue hardware simulations in LTspice

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Oct 12 23:19:46 CEST 2019

It is an “interesting” idea, but I’ll take a risk and say that it’s rather pointless, at least for linear, time-invariant (LTI) systems. The math behind the Fourier Transform is centuries old, and gives a full model of an LTI system. I suppose that if you’re modeling the distortion characteristics of real analog filters, then some other tool besides the FFT is needed. i.e. distortion is non-linear, so there might be some benefit to fuzzy analysis. On the other hand, even distortion can be modeled directly from the circuits without resorting to buzz words.

I do believe that it was someone like Yamaha who built a robot that could hit each key of a grand piano with 128 different velocities and gathered all of that data for analysis. This was decades ago, before the better digital piano synths were released.

In either case, I think it would help a lot if humans provided some intuitive input to the modeling algorithms, at least if we care about the energy needed to recreate the sounds after the learning process has completed.

Brian

p.s. But, most of all: Thanks! to Richie for sharing these LTspice models!