[sdiy] OrCAD deal (again)

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 12:29:54 CEST 2019

Phillip Harbison wrote:
> How does OrCAD compare with KiCAD? I used OrCAD about 30 years
> ago and was not all that impressed, but to be fair none of the
> affordable EDA packages in those days were very good. So far I
> am happy with KiCAD and I love the price. ;)

I've never used KiCAD so I'm probably not best placed to answer, but
outside of the hobby market you have three main competitors: OrCAD,
Mentor PADS, and Altium.
We use OrCAD at work, partly because all the factories we deal with
also use it, and if you need it there are upgrade options for high-end
PCB layout tools (RF, DFM, etc).

Neil