[sdiy] 8 bit MCUs, why bother? (branch off "LFSR digital noise source")

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Thu Nov 14 23:51:49 CET 2019

> On 14 Nov 2019, at 23:04, sleepy_dog at gmx.de wrote:
>
> Ben Stuyts wrote:
>> How’s $0.03 for a microcontroller? :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAGnsnO7w <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhAGnsnO7w>
>> Die shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jw5D0F008c <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jw5D0F008c>
>>
>> By the way, lcsc.com <http://lcsc.com/> where this mcu came from is a really interesting distributer, part of the same company als jlcpcb.com <http://jlcpcb.com/> (pcb manufacturer). Lots of cheap Chinese parts, but also e.g. ST microcontrollers for better prices than e.g. Farnell or Digikey. I’ve used some of them in production, no complaints yet.
>>
>> Ben
>>
> Ha! :D That's slightly cheating, though, isn't it? Unrealiably obtainable "seasonal produce" fresh from Shenzen market... usually made for one-off rubbish products.
> Or not?

I believe lcsc.com <http://lcsc.com/> is a reputable distributor, and the company behind those cheap MCU’s (Paduak Tech) seems to give reasonable support. There are some  eevblog.com <http://eevblog.com/> forum threads where people discuss their experience with these chips. I just checked that particular MCU and it is still in stock, over 18k pcs: https://lcsc.com/product-detail/PADAUK_PADAUK-Tech-PMS150C-U06_C168658.html <https://lcsc.com/product-detail/PADAUK_PADAUK-Tech-PMS150C-U06_C168658.html>. It boggles the mind…

For a more well known example: For a recent production run I needed 100 pcs of the STM32F103RBT6, a 64 pin Arm Cortex-M3 controller. It is US$1.5348 at lcsc, and USD 4.83 at Digikey. There is some sort of supply chain advantage there…

Ben