[sdiy] Handling MIDI Running Status from Power-up

music.maker at gte.net music.maker at gte.net
Thu Nov 14 14:42:18 CET 2019

Not sure why you would be switching MIDI cables during a performance for exactly the reason you
stated - running status.  Two things come to mind.  Since you're writing your own code, simply
disable running status and always send status all the time.  That does eliminate some bandwidth
though, so not entirely desirable.  Or you could include a switch that prevents running status
while on.

What I wonder though, is why you are switching MIDI cables during a performance?  MIDI is designed
to accommodate many sound modules all plugged in at once.  If one MIDI bus is insufficient (you use
more than 16 sources) you can use two or more interfaces.  I think this is the reason you don't
find MIDI interface devices with such a switch on the market.  Not to mention that it's just bad
business to disturb your rig while there's an audience waiting to hear you.  The god of gig is
always watching and will strike with a broken something just at the "right" moment.

-- ScottG