[sdiy] Handling MIDI Running Status from Power-up

ackolonges fds ackolonges at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 14:09:20 CET 2019

Hi All,

I've run into a MIDI running status issue while writing and testing my own MIDI parser, and I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of any practical way of handling it.

Here is the scenario: You have been playing notes on a (hardware) MIDI sound module via your MIDI keyboard that makes use of running status. You then power-up a second sound module, unplug the MIDI cable from the previous one, and plug it into the second one. When you continue playing notes, they are not received by the second module, because it did not receive any status bytes due to the use of running status. The only way to begin playing notes with the second module is to then send another type of MIDI message such as Control Change or Pitch Bend to 'break' the running status, and force the sending of a new status byte - a completely bewildering thing for the end user.

I've recreated this issue on commercial synths, so it looks like I'm not alone with this - have any of you encountered this problem and have any ideas about an elegant way to deal with it?

Cheers