[sdiy] Opinions on Switchmode PSUs for analog synths?

mark verbos markverbos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 12:51:22 CET 2019

I use the ECLB40W-24D12 which is a 40W metal can one. It will take pretty much any DC you throw at it (9V-36V per the datasheet). I put some big caps to ground on the output of them. I have never experienced anything close to 150mV of ripple on these. They have not caused interaction between modules or blown anything up (a real problem with cheep switchers, I guess from start-up transients).
With 90% efficiency I don’t think there are linear regulators inside, but what it is doing seems to work. Of course, they cost $40 instead of $20 like the Mean Well ones.

Mark