[sdiy] JavaScript Muse Update, Barbican Centre

Donald Tillman don at till.com
Thu May 30 18:59:13 CEST 2019

Hey folks,

A Muse update...

The "AI More than Human" exhibit at the Barbican Centre in London opened a couple weeks ago, and my JavaScript Muse is there running on a Galaxy tablet right next to an actual Muse.

https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/installation-photo-from-the-barbican-s-ai-more-than-human-exhibition/yQHg1oNIaKTe4w <https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/installation-photo-from-the-barbican-s-ai-more-than-human-exhibition/yQHg1oNIaKTe4w>

And, I've built another version I'd like to share with you:

    The Muse
    http://till.com/muse/

This is the Muse alone, without the article, and with a set of presets.

And it has music notation.  And blue/green indicator lamps on the sliders, and blue/green indicator lamps above the sliders, so it's easier to understand what is going on.

And it has the pretty walnut and brushed aluminum textures.  Normally I'm not a fan of "skeuomorphism", but in this case I think it brings it to life.

And this version can "spawn minions".  It can create additional Muse's in new windows, and they're sync'd to the master.  So you can make a Muse Quartet very easily.

The settings of the master are cloned, and you can make changes from there.  You might share a common "Theme" setting, and use different "Interval" settings each unit, for a sort of counterpoint.  And you should be encouraged to pitch them at different octaves, or related keys.

Have fun!  Tell me what you discover.

  -- Don
--
Donald Tillman, Palo Alto, California