[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue May 14 11:12:28 CEST 2019

Capacitance is proportional to plate area, dielectric constant and inversely proportional to dielectric thickness. Everyone wants small components because you can fit more in a product, they weigh less, cheaper to store and ship, etc. So the dielectric is very thin. It's hard to maintain a tight tolerance on a very small dimension. If not throughout a batch, then definitely between subsequent manufacturing batches.

BTW, it is actually possible to 'trim' high voltage metallised polypropylene capacitors with self healing properties, by slowly raising the applied voltage until the capacitance falls to the target value. The voltage at which this occurs gives additional information about process variation.

-Richie,

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2

---- David G Dixon wrote ----