[sdiy] Power supply of a 19" rack

Frédéric (Opensource) marzacdev at gmail.com
Tue May 14 10:15:57 CEST 2019

Hi everyone.

I have not written here for a long time but I keep reading
the list because of the interest of the topics.

I am shared between two concepts for the power supply
of a 19" rack and I would like to hear your opinion both as
musicians and as instruments makers.

_Option A: mains_

Offering a regular 220V / 110V / 100V C14 input at the rack.
Inside:
pre-certified switched mode power supply (which adapt for all countries)

Pros:
* C13 cables are common and available
* No need for an external wall adapter
* Musicians seem to like this (my impression)

Cons:
* Certification process (more complex and costly)
* Design risks (mains inside / grounding / security for users and
technicians)
* Big additional cost

_Option B: all in_

Offering a regular 2.1mm DC jack connector that can accept ANYTHING
like DC/AC from 6V to 16V.
Inside:
rectifier + small DC/DC converter or linear regulation
(depending on the consumption and dissipation of the circuits)

Pros:
* Everyone owns needless adapters that could be reused
    (= environment friendly / less e-waste)
* Less design complexity
* No mains inside the rack
* Simplified certification process

Cons:
* Need an external power adapter
* Need a power adapter that works for the region where the machine is used
    (simple wall transformers often cannot travel)
* Musicians don't seem to like it (my impression)

Question:
What would you prefer?

Fred.

PS: By the way, last hours for the Buzzzy! on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1304489933/buzzzy-the-digital-polysynth