[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Tue May 14 02:17:00 CEST 2019

Now we are into the realm of process control. Think about how a film cap
is made: two layers of a conductive material sandwiched around a
dielectric film, and then rolled up. Any thickness tolerance in any of
those layers gets multiplied by the number of wraps. Controlling those
thicknesses is possible but probably costs a lot.  You can get 1% caps
but there does not seem to be a good selection, suggesting low demand.
Also they are pricey. The same goes for SMT ceramic caps.

I think we get spoiled by resistors. They can be laser trimmed and tight
tolerance parts are common and not too expensive. Even down to 0.1% they
seem to be reasonable.

When designing we need to determine just how much tightness we need,
then ask our wallets how much we can afford, and then balance the two.
Just like brothels.

--tr