[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Tue May 14 01:45:26 CEST 2019

When I look at, say, those little blue or yellow film caps, it is simply
inconceivable to me that they could be made 10% different from one another.
If you've ever seen a continuous automated industrial process that cranks
out millions of the same thing, the key feature is repeatability.  In order
for every part of the process to work, and for every piece of the assembly
to fit together, every part has to be identical from one piece to the next.
That is a recipe for 1% tolerance, not 10% or 20%.

Matthew said:

On the contrary, I don't think the basic process of manufacturing
capacitors has changed much since the 1960s - they are still made by the
same kind of machines out of the same kind of materials - so why should we
expect those processes to give much different results today?  Automation
isn't magic, and it's likely to be used to reduce costs rather than to
tighten tolerances, if the market seems to prioritize price.