[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri May 10 05:06:01 CEST 2019

Earlier this year, I got a copy of Douglas Self’s “Small Signal Audio Design” book. In that, he seems fond of a technique of using multiple capacitors in order to improve the tolerance. I didn’t pay close attention to the math, but two 20% capacitors end up giving you a value that is within 10% of the combined value. His examples even used four or eight of the same value capacitor, with further improvements of the accuracy. At some point it gets ridiculous, so he didn’t quite recommend eight capacitors instead of one, but the one, two, three, four series was recommended.

In my experience, highly accurate resistors are cheap. By the time I select a quality resistor, I can usually find any 0.1% value for the same cost. Capacitors tend to have larger tolerances, and it’s way more expensive to get precise. Then there’s the benefit of reduced unit cost when you buy larger quantities. I haven’t really looked at whether you can save money combining several cheap, large tolerance caps instead of fewer tight tolerance caps, but it seems like it could work out in some specific cases.

I think Doug’s examples were mostly where the circuit needed a series of different capacitances, such that creating different values by combining the same value in different series and parallel combinations made sense. One chapter of his book goes into great deal analyzing as many as eight or ten variations of the same circuit, just by looking at different ways to choose caps. I didn’t look at the Mouser BoM costs for any of those to see which option won.

I don’t know why Yves would have simply doubled every cap. Maybe it was purely for the improvement to tolerance.

Bottom line: Tolerance and volume discount advantages can be obtained by using multiple capacitors instead of single caps.

Brian