[sdiy] Winding Coils (from "Fixed filter bank questions")

Oren Leavitt obl64 at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 10 00:34:24 CEST 2019

On 5/9/19 4:05 PM, sleepy_dog at gmx.de wrote:

> Ingo Debus wrote:
>> You made your own toroidal coils? Kudos to you!
>>
>> In case anyone hasn’t seen it yet, here’s my take on winding coils al
>> home (used for a fixed filter bank):
>> https://youtu.be/pRZvYf_qCUM
>
> Ok, looks like too delicate wire for my "battery drill with speed
> control + pencil + black paper disk with index hole + optical sensor ->
> counter input" way ;)
>
> Although for slightly thicker wire... I kinda like that machine :D
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82PpCzM2CUg
>
> - Steve

Power tools and automation are nice :) I've fancied building an
automated toroid winder for small toroids.

Here's a step-by-step of how I did my toroidal coils by hand:

https://analogsynthguy.com/how-to-wind-your-own-toroidal-audio-inductors

I used ferrite cores with a high "AL" value - 6040 for coils less than 2
Henry, 12080 for the higher ones. This minimizes the numbers of turns I
have to do to achieve a significant audio range inductance.

The 5 Hy coils for the 88 Hz band required about 650 turns of wire using
the 12080 cores.

I verified my inductance values using a Sencore inductance/capacitance
meter.