[sdiy] Fixed filter bank questions

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Thu May 9 07:45:23 CEST 2019

One thing I just noticed, watching a demo video of the Dotcom FFB with white
noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Absv56Nws

I'm presuming that the panel pots are all audio-taper.  In the video, all
the bands are initially fully ON, and then each is turned all the way down
from the highest frequency to the lowest.  What I notice is that the band
being turned down seems to more or less disappear almost as soon as he
starts to turn the knob.  I think that linear-taper pots might give more
useful responses.  In any case, I never use audio-taper pots (the only time
I have ever used them is for the ADR pots of my dual ADSR module).

Also, I believe that having each band exactly a tritone apart would make no
difference to the sound and function of the FFB based on this demo.